Active time: 15 min; Start to finish: 1 hr
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp hot red-pepper flakes
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 ¼ lb large peeled and deveined shrimp
- ¼ lb feta, crumbled (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill
- Preheat oven to 375, with rack in the middle
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in 4-qt heavy saucepan over medium heat, until softened – about 5 minutes
- Stir in spices and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes with juice and sugar – simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened – about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat
- Add shrimp to sauce and stir well
- Transfer to oven proof dishes and top with feta
- Bake until just cooked through – about 18-20 minutes.
- Sprinkled with dill
- Serve – Have plenty of bread or naan on hand for sopping up the juice.
Source: Albin, Andrea – “Quick Kitchen.” Gourmet Magazine November 2008; 103.