Thursday, August 25, 2011

Beet and Carrot Latkes

One of my favourite cook books is "Fifty Ways to Cook Most Everything" by Andrew Schloss.  We've had it for years and have yet to have a recipe that we've tried from it fail.  We had never tried the Beet and Carrot Latkes before but they sounded intriguing.  We've made potato latkes, zucchini pancakes and corn fritters before, all with similar recipes and yummy results.  The Beet and Carrot Latkes delivered.  Slightly sweet from the beets, they pair very nicely with sour cream.  They were also quick and easy, something you could start after work and still eat dinner at a reasonable time.  We had ours with a serving of sausage, but truth be told, I would have been happy just having latkes.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound carrots, peeled and shredded
1/2 pound raw beets, peeled and shredded
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp finely chopped onions
salt and pepper to taste

Steps:
  • Combine carrots and beets in bowl




  • Mix eggs, flour, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Mix into beets and carrots.
  • Heat 1/4 inch of oil in deep skillet.
  • Fry heaping soup spoonfuls of the batter, flattening mounds to form pancakes about 3 inches in diameter.

  • Brown well, 4-5 minutes per side.
  • Drain on paper towel and serve hot with sour cream.

 

I did not weigh my vegetables to start, but eye balled it based on what I thought we would need for dinner for 2 for 2 nights.  As a result, I felt that I needed more egg and flour to bind it together, so I added an extra egg and another tbsp of flour.  They held together nicely.

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to prepare beetroot.My dads favourite.Thank you for that;)

    ReplyDelete