Adapted from my other favorite recipe book: Souper Suppers by Arthur Schwartz.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp butter
5-6 medium peaches, peeled and cut in half
1 cup sour cream (or you could use heavy cream or yogurt, or a combo)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar and salt
- Cut in the butter, using your fingers, until the mixture resemble course meal
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a deep 9 or 10 inch pie plate (I used a rectangular dish).
- Arrange the peaches over the crust sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cups of sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat together the sour cream and eggs till well blended
- once the crostata has baked for the 15 minutes, remove from oven, pour over the egg and sour cream mixture and then return to oven for another 30 minutes
- Serve warm (not hot) or at room temp. It's best if it's never refrigerated, as the peaches will weep and make it too wet.